Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Coming Out of the Closet

Okay, so this isn't how it sounds but it got your attention, didn't it?  As I've mentioned before, I don't have a lot of time to catch up with friends or family on a regular basis.  My babies seem to wait until I get on that phone and then, WATCH OUT!!  Immediately Claire is emptying the refrigerator, Oliver is tossing bath towels in the toilet, Hugh has come up with some major plan that usually involves chasing the dog, and Ryan is glaring at me with a look that says:  "GET OFF THE PHONE!"  (Which is ironic because, I swear, that hubby of mine talks on the phone more than a teenage girl!) Anyway...if I have phone calls to make I have to multitask while I'm talking and it is definitely better to wait until after 8:00 p.m. when all are in bed.  One of my best friends who lives about an hour away (whom I love dearly and don't see enough) is pregnant (and a school teacher) and she is so tired every night that she is in bed by 8:00 p.m.  Therefore, I don't get to talk to her since I'm not really capable of talking until after 8:00 p.m.  UGH!  I miss her!  So, anyway, back to the closet!  My parents live about 30 minutes away and we see them about once a week or once every two weeks but sometimes, you know, a mama just needs her mama!  I call my mom a lot, I admit.  I immediately call her every time one of the kids says or does something funny, and I call her every time I've had a really great day or a really horrid day.  I do call her a lot.  She is used to me talking to the kids while I'm trying to talk to her.  It may not be considerate phone etiquette, but..it's my mom, she knows how I am and loves me anyway. 

Our house is set up so all the bedrooms are at the end of the hall together.  There is a hall bathroom and then another bathroom off from our bedroom.  Our walk-in closet is then off that bathroom.  I've found when the kids are loud (or naughty) and Ryan is there (and maybe glaring at me) that it helps to go into my bedroom, close the door and lock it, then go through my master bathroom and into my walk-in closet.  I can then sit on the floor covered by the comforting shield of my clothes and shoes and talk to my mom without the noise and distractions.  It is quiet and no one can find me.

Image Detail


Oh, my goodness!  That was quite a confession!  Do you think I'm a bad mom?  A bad wife?  I don't do it unless Ryan is home and I only do it if I really need some time alone to talk to my mom.  And, I swear, it is only for a few minutes!  I'm sure Ryan can hold down the fort for a few minutes!  One night a while back I was talking to my mom and she had lots to tell me rather than the usual - me with lots to say.  I let her talk and tried to listen but, as usual, it was pure chaos at my house and I had to get away.  So I headed to the closet.  I sat down on the floor, listened to her, visited for a few minutes, and then said "Well, I better go.  Ryan doesn't like it when I hide in the closet."  My mom had no idea I was a closet phone caller.  She laughed and laughed so much that I didn't even hear her say "good-bye."  She just hung up laughing hysterically. 

No, seriously!  I have 3 little kids -  I HAVE to make creative accommodations so that I can function successfully and if that involves hiding in the closet, well then...so be it!  I know they are safe under their daddy's care.  Do any of you other moms in the blogosphere hide in your closet?  Do any of you say you really need to go to the bathroom but then lock the door and sit on the floor with a good book for a few minutes?  Hmmm...oh, no, me either!  :)  I've heard that some moms go for walks alone or go for a drive to clear their head.  You gotta do what you gotta do! And when we do take a few minutes away from the chaos aren't we all the better because of it?  Refreshed, a second-wind of mommy motivation, ready to take it all on again?  I know I am!

1 comment:

  1. Thank God for cordless and cell phones. I remember having to pull the phone cord as far as it would reach to my bedroom for quiet.

    ReplyDelete