Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A Glimpse of My Life

I always like to read "a day in the life" type of blog posts to see how different people, with different lives spend their time.  That's what I'm about to do here.  Sorry, there are no pictures.  Didn't think to do that today (or have time.)  Okay, here it goes...

4:50 a.m.  Alarm goes off.  I hit snooze.

5:00 a.m.  Alarm goes off again.  I hit snooze.

5:10 a.m.  Alarm goes off again.  Okay, this time I HAVE to get up!
I get up and hop in the shower.  I hop right out quickly not ever knowing how much time I have until the first child wakes up! Today was my lucky day - I got to get in and out of the shower, get dressed, hair and make - up done before anyone is up! I throw a load of laundry in the washer. Ryan gets up.

6:00 a.m.  Hugh gets up.  Shortly after that the other two are up.  Through her messy curls, Claire immediately demands "Chocolate milk and cartoons!!!" I get everyone something to drink (and realize we're now out of milk) and turn on cartoons.  Hugh gets himself ready for school.  I help Claire get ready and I get Oliver ready.  I throw everything into our bags.

6:55 a.m. Ryan and Hugh leave for school.  As they are walking out the door, I quickly shove a container of yogurt and an apple in Hugh's hand so he has something to eat for breakfast.  And that's when I realize we have no more yogurt or apples or bread or anything quick for breakfast...shoot!

7:15 a.m. Load up babies and all their stuff and head to McDonald's.  I get myself a large non-fat caramel mocha (Woo - Hoo!!) and get breakfast for the babies. 

7:30 a.m. Arrive at school, take kids to day care, take off coats and hats, unpack bags, get out their McDonald's breakfasts.  Claire gets mad because I didn't let her sign her own name when I signed her in at day care.  She begins crying huge tears!  UGH...I feel awful.  I hate starting the day like this.  I almost start crying too. There are no day care ladies around to help me out. I hug her tight and tell her I have to go and why doesn't she sit down and eat her pancakes.  She still cries and says she misses her daddy and asks me to call him and tell him she loves him.  I promise I will.  I finally sneak out of the day care room.

7:50 a.m.  I run back out to the parking lot to get my mocha and my school bag out of the van (had my hands full and couldn't carry anything more the first trip in!) Go on into my classroom.  Look over lesson plans and make sure I have everything ready for the day.  I call daddy and tell him Claire loves him.

8:05 a.m. My first class arrives - 18 preschoolers.  They are so sweet!  I always look forward to them coming in.  As they file in, their teacher tells me that on the way over to my room they were so excited to see what we were going to do because "it is always so fun!" I love it!  The teacher leaves and I began the activities I had planned.  We talk about families, read a story about families, and then learn a song about families.  We add some simple motions to the song.  They then beg for me to call their teacher and have her come early to hear them sing their new song.  I do and she does come early.  As the kids do their little performance, their teacher begins to cry.  The song is very touching about the love families have for each other and that family is all you really need.  I explain to them that sometimes grown-ups cry when they are happy.  She agrees that yes, the song made her so happy she got all teary-eyed!  :) Coats on, hugs, stickers, and they are on their way!

9:00 a.m  28 fourth graders!  They, too, are very fun, though in a different way!  Some of them head to the computers to continue working on a project we have going on right now and the rest of them sit on the floor to hear me read a book to them.  The book is about the history of the Star Spangled Banner.  They are really into it and we get side-tracked as they ask a million questions and discuss where they have traveled!  We then practice singing the Star Spangled Banner.  They are singing it for a varsity basketball game next week! 

9:55 a.m. 26 second graders!  We continue talking about author/illustrator/song writer, Sandra Boynton (see here) and read some of her books and listen to some of her songs.  We then learn a dance to one of her songs, "Barnyard Dance."  We then discuss an upcoming art project.  This group is rambunctious today!

10:50 a.m. 26 third graders!  Some of the students work in a small group finishing an art project that they have been working on.  I discuss an upcoming composer/artist research project that we will begin soon.  I then show them several books and discuss possible composers and artist they may choose.  This, of course, leads to much discussion and we all agree that Bach was cool!  Whew!  Good, Bach is cool! We then play a music game together.

11:45 a.m.  I leave the school, run home to let the dog out, get the mail, and then...oh, gosh, this is awful...run through the drive-thru at McDonald's for the second time today to get a bowl of broccoli soup.  Yes, McDonald's twice in one day!  I promise though, that's all I got! 

12:20 p.m. Afternoon group of preschools comes and we do the same activities we did in the morning.

12:55 p.m. I notice two little girls scratching their heads like crazy and remember that a third grader was sent home today with head lice.  UGH!  I send them to the nurse.  Luckily, they get the all-clear!  The classroom teacher and I both breathe a sigh of relief!  But...now I itch!

1:10 p.m.  25 first graders!  This is a really fun group!  We do what I had done with the second graders this morning.  We call the classroom teacher who comes a bit early to watch them do their barnyard dance!  Super cute!  She is thoroughly impressed!  I proudly said "Yes, they just learned it twenty minutes ago!"

2:00 p.m. 30 Kindergarteners - yes,  you read it right - 30!  I do the same "family" themed activities I did with the preschoolers.  We have time at the end of class to play a music game which takes much explaining and demonstrating.  We used Kidz Bop Music for the game and the kindergarteners just belted out the Kidz Bop version of "Fireworks" and "Dynamite."  So hilarious!  They are still singing and dancing when they leave my room!

3:00 p.m.  I check my email, call my husband, and meet with some colleagues about some paperwork we need to do.  I then work on a newsletter to send home in report cards.  I get it done but will have to print it tomorrow - keeping my fingers crossed the printer doesn't run out of toner!

4:30 p.m. Take all of my stuff to the van and then go back in the building to get the kids from day care.  (Hugh walks to his dad's classroom after school each day.)  When I get there, Oliver is sitting on a rocking horse gazing at Barney on the television.  I watch him watch Barney for a long time.  He is so precious. Then he sees me.  He grins a huge grin and excitedly tells me "tractor, tractor" as he points to all of the ride-on toys in the day care room.  None of them are really tractors.  I load up both kids and all their stuff and head home.

5:00 p.m.  ??? Huh??  What's for dinner?  We have nothing.  Claire is hopping around me begging for macaroni and cheese.  Ryan and Hugh come home, and I leave Ryan with all the kids and head to the store.  I pick up bananas, yogurt, a loaf of bread, a bag of oranges, milk, some deli meat, and a few other things.  As I am passing the frozen foods I suddenly remember that a third grader brought me a popsicle this afternoon in celebration of his birthday!  Oh, no!  I left the popsicle on my desk.  I quickly pay, load up the van and head back to the school.  Yup, there's the drippy popsicle but contained in its package still!  Whew...I avoided a sticky mess there!

6:00 p.m. All three kids rush to the door asking "what did you get?" as I struggle to bring in the groceries.  They then all try to open everything while I an trying to get dinner going.  We compromise and they eat slices of an orange while dinner is cooking. 

6:45 p.m. Ugh...this is much later than I like to have dinner...oh, well.  Dinner is baked Pollock, steamed vegetables, broccoli slaw, and oranges!  The kids love it and eat a lot!  I can not believe how much they eat lately.  It is ridiculous!  I spend most of dinner up and down, in and out of my seat trying to meet everyone's needs - "more milk, salt please, more broccoli, need a napkin, no...want a wet napkin."  Near the end of dinner, Oliver grabs a serving bowl from the table and flings it on the floor.  It shatters all over.  Ugh...one of my good ones.  It was my fault.  I shouldn't have left it so close to him on the table.  Oh, well.  One less dish to wash!  We finish dinner and I give my family a little speech about how every night they are all snuggly, cozy in their beds while I am out in the kitchen cleaning up dinner.  I am able to get them all to help clear the table. 

7:15 p.m.  Rotate laundry, put another load in the washer. I peel Oliver's clothes off from him, toss them in the laundry room, and send him down the hall toward the bathroom.  He takes off running naked babbling "bath, bath, bath."  Unfortunately on the way to the bathroom he pees on the wood floor and slips in it and falls down.  I scoop him up and give him hugs and kisses.  The crying subsides.  I clean up the floor. All three kids get baths and pjs.

7:55 p.m.  I give Ryan "the look" as I say "It is almost 8:00"  which translates as "I AM TIRED AND WORN OUT AND I STILL HAVE MESSES TO CLEAN UP AND WE NEED TO DO MEDICINE, TEETH BRUSHING, STORIES, AND PRAYERS AND GET THESE LITTLE STINKERS IN BED RIGHT NOW!!!"  We work together at the bedtime routines and get the oldest two in bed.  Oliver, however, has his own agenda. 

8:30 p.m. I rock Oliver and sing songs I am making up as I go along about Boppa's tractors and horses and cows.  He listens quietly but has no intentions of sleep anytime soon. Every once in awhile he babbles "moo" or spits trying to make a horse sound.

9:00 p.m. I hand Oliver to Ryan and here I am...blogging!  Every once in a while Oliver gets away from him and toddles out here to babble something to me and grin and give me slobbery baby kisses!  I love it!

Very soon I will shut down the computer, rotate the laundry, pack bags for tomorrow, put away toys strewn all over living room floor, briefly consider what everyone might wear tomorrow, put Oliver into bed (asleep or awake, either way it is happening!)put on my pajamas, sit on the couch for a few minutes and cuddle my little dog, Lucy and watch a few minutes of television.  I will then climb into bed, say my own prayers, cuddle up with the blanket my mom made me for Christmas, kiss my hubby good-night (he will be fast asleep by now) and close my eyes. 

And there you have it!

4 comments:

  1. Oh Becky I loved your "day in the life"! Reading it in bed and laughing so much Bill asks what I'm doing! I sure can relate. Sounds like Oliver was having quite the night! And two McDonald's trips in one day! Yep do that more often than I would like and always feel bad about it too! I always hope its different workers but a lot of times its not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melanie, :) I'm so relieved you can relate. It was a little scary to see my life all written out like that. Oh, my! Very glad you can relate! By the way, one of my 4th grader's mom works at McDonald's and is the best at making my caramel mochas. And a couple weeks ago, I pulled up to the first window at McDonald's to pay and the lady said "oh, I always love when you wear that sweater!" Yeah, I'm there too much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a GREAT post! I can't believe you cycle through so many students in one day! Must get exhausting! For some reason, your load with all the different grade levels and energy levels makes my teenagers seem like nothing :) And kudos to you for cooking dinner--a day like that may have made me microwave something frozen!! Do you ever forget to put laundry in the dryer through all of the commotion? I ALWAYS put laundry in the washer, then wake up in the morning and think CRAP, and it's sitting in there still wet!!

    ReplyDelete