Friday, January 13, 2012

Random Acts of Kindness

Every Friday morning I take the kids through the drive-thru at McDonald's to get breakfast.  We then take the breakfast to school (where they attend school and day care and where I am a teacher.)  The kids look forward to Friday mornings to get their hot chocolates, hot cakes, fruit and yogurt parfaits...whatever strikes their fancy! 

This morning we were running late - no surprise!  I loaded all three kids into the van and headed out into the snowy morning with McDonald's as our first stop!  The drive-thru was busy this morning.  I ordered and then got the total and then proceeded to gripe about how much it cost.  (The total this morning came to $10.59.  Some mornings are much worse!)  Anyway, we pulled up to the next window to pay only to find out the person ahead of us paid for our order!  I was shocked!  I have heard of this sort of random act of kindness and did it once at a toll booth but I had never been on the receiving end.  Here I was on a hectic, cold and snowy Friday morning when I was running late with my three babies and some stranger took the time and the money to be so generous to us!  I was so touched, I got all teary-eyed!  I know it was just our McDonald's order but it was the thoughtful gesture that got to me.  The kids were confused by my tears.  I explained to them what was happening and said I was crying because I was happy - I was so happy there were kind, generous people in the world who did that sort of thing for others!  So, I put my $10.59 away and accepted our food with a grateful heart.

Looking back on this morning, I not only feel blessed that this happened and that I saved some money but I feel blessed that all three of my children were there to experience the receiving end of a random act of kindness.  They really look forward to their Friday morning McDonald's breakfasts and have heard me complain on numerous occasions how much it costs.  Hugh had even said "Oh, mama, you don't have to do this every Friday.  We can have toast!"  I feel guilty now for letting them hear me complain.  I love, though, that they saw my reaction to this stranger's generosity - the tears I shed and the happiness I felt at realizing there are still people in the world who do some wonderful things for others at their own expense.  I hope in the future when we are giving of our time or money to others my kids will remember how their mama reacted to a stranger doing this for us and maybe they will reach deeper into their hearts to give all they can to others as well.



Proverbs 21:26…the righteous gives and does not hold back.

1 comment:

  1. That is such a neat thing to happen. Makes you feel better after watching all the bad things that happen in the world. Reminds you there are still.lots of wonderful people out there!

    ReplyDelete