Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Valentine Cupcake Bites

I got this book for my friend, Melanie, for Christmas.  She had been perfecting the art of cake pop making and I thought this had some super cute, original ideas as well as handy recipes too!
 The book was written by Bakerella.  Check out her website for creative baking ideas and yummy recipes.  Click on the picture below to find it on Amazon.




Click on this picture to go straight to Bakerella's instructions for making cupcake bites.

Cupcake Bites
Aren't they adorable?

Melanie and another friend, Jessica, made these adorable little cupcake bites for Jessica's little girl's first birthday party.  If you missed that post, click here.

Aren't they cute?

So...I wanted to try them too!  The recipe calls for a candy mold to form the chocolate on the bottom of each cupcake.  I didn't have a candy mold and because I live out in the middle of nowhere, I was unable to find one to purchase without traveling an hour to the big city.  So instead, I used a mini cupcake pan.  They are shaped different than Melanie and Jessica's cupcake bites and they don't exactly look like the pictures from Bakerella's website, but I think they turned out pretty darn cute anyway.  I made them into little Valentine Cupcake Bites.


This is how I did it...

Ingredients:

  • 1 white cake mix
  • 1 can of cream cheese frosting
  • 1 package chocolate bark
  • 1 bag of red candy melts
  • red, pink and white sprinkles
I made the cake as the box instructed.  I let it cool for about an hour.  Then I broke it into chunks and put it in a big bowl.  I then added about 3/4 of the can of cream cheese frosting.  (I know Melanie and Jess also only used 3/4 of the can but I believe Bakerella's website directions say the whole can.  Go ahead and do whatever you'd like.)  I then mushed it all together.  I didn't put it in a food processor to do this part, as I know some people do.  Instead I used the Mix & Chop from Pampered Chef.  (One of my very most favorite kitchen gadgets ever!)  Here is a picture of it...
Image Detail

I then rolled the cake into small balls and put it on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper.  I put it in the fridge for about one hour.  This allowed them to become firm and little easier to work with.

After removing them from the fridge, I melted some chocolate bark in a glass bowl in the microcowave and stirred it until smooth.  I then spooned a small amount of chocolate into each of the wells of a mini cupcake pan and pressed the cake balls down into the chocolate so the chocolate pushed up the sides a bit and formed a shell around the cake ball. 

I refrigerated them for about 30 minutes in the cupcake pan.  I then took a knife and gently nudged each cupcake bite out of the pan.  Then I melted the red candy melts in the microwave and stirred them until smooth.  I then used a small spoon (a baby spoon) and spooned a little melted red candy on top of each one.  I did this same process with white candy melts too.  While they were still soft, I added a variety of red, pink, and white sprinkles and some heart sprinkles too. 


I think they turned about pretty cute and my family enjoyed them.  Upon realizing this was our dessert the other night, my son Hugh (8) said "Wow!  I can't believe it.  We never have dessert or anything this fancy!"  My husband had a look of surprise after he bit into one.  It wasn't what he was expecting but the combination of cupcake with candy delighted his tastebuds!  (My family is easily impressed!)

I didn't do these exactly like Bakerella and obviously they didn't turn out like Bakerella's cupcake bites do, but I used what I had and did my own version.  When I can get to the big city I will stop my home-away-from-home (aka HOBBY LOBBY) and pick up a real candy cup mold.



 I think these would be darling packaged in a cute little box as a special Valentine's Day treat for a friend or a child's teacher.  Another good idea would be to surprise your child by sticking one in his or her lunch with a love note from mama! 



michellepaige.blogspot.com

18 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog! Newest follower (and super cute post!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These turned out beautifully! Yum! Would you be willing to link these up to my Valentine Link Party? I'd love to have you! Thanks, Michelle
    http://michellepaige.blogspot.com/2012/01/rockin-valentine-valentine-link-party.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for linking up, Rebecca! This is my favorite of your posts! They look so amazing!

      Delete
  3. These could be made into some really cute gum ball treats for a birthday party I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my gosh!!!! You're so right! I've got to try that now...even before the Easter weekend gets here! Displaying them would be so fun too!

      Delete
  4. Oh my I want one!!!! Would you please share with us at the Handmade Valentine party here:
    http://www.summitstreetjoy.com/2012/01/handmade-valentines-day-crafts-and.html
    Would LOVE to have you!!! :)
    xox
    lauren @ summit st

    ReplyDelete
  5. for a first try how great did you do! I think we all have our own style, but they always get eaten and they are always yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look so good! Thanks for sharing at Thursday's Temptation!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  7. I featured these today! http://michellepaige.blogspot.com/2012/02/sweets-for-sweet.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for featuring my sweets! I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  8. These look so good! I found you from Michelle Paige's feature today. :) I'm a new follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Welcome to Sister-Dipity!

      Delete
  9. They look delicious!! Thanks for linking up! Just checking, did you see my Lisa Leonard giveaway yet?


    XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing this at my Valentines Party! I'm featuring it tomorrow in my "Top 10 Valentines Treats" post! Feel free to stop by and grab a "featured" button!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Thank you! And, yes, I will grab a featured button!

      Delete