Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Valentine's Day at Our House


Here are a few pictures to give you a glimpse of Valentine's Day at our house...

I changed the mantel a bit from the post I did HERE.  I moved the FAMILY sign to the top of the mirror and added the framed number art.  The numbers are all the important dates for our family - our anniversary is done in red with a teeny, tiny heart in the middle of it.  I made it on Microsoft Publisher. My husband and mother-in-law both seemed to think this was weird, but I love it!

I also added this little guy.  Isn't he romantic - roses and a tuxedo?  My sister gave this to us a few Valentine's Days ago.  I knew the kids would like it, so I added it to our mantel.

 
I stuck a tree branch in one of our plants and hung little hearts from it.
I also added this wooden heart on a stick by the "trunk" of the branch. 
I added a few little hearts in and among our favorite photos on my gallery shelves.
The framed piece (you see in the top picture) I made using scrapbook paper for the background, paint chips punched with a heart punch, doilies, and an old frame.  The colored dots are under the glass, the hearts are on top of the glass.  It gives it some dimension. 

 I decorated a little more than usual this year.  The kids are just so delighted with all the decorations.  They are so easily impressed.
The front door is red!  I love that it is red!  I always put out this wintry wreath after Christmas. 
I like the look of the ice crystals against the red. 

 

Front porch decor.



Hugh gave this to his teacher.
These are the cupcake bites.  In case you missed it, the post to make these is HERE.
The pink are strawberry cake and the white frosted ones are brownies.
We tied the box with twine, polka dot ribbon, and red tulle.

 
Hugh's choice for valentines this year.
Hugh gave these out with Skittles - Star Wars and Skittles two of his favorite things!

Claire wanted me to make Hello Kitty valentines.
I made these using the Hello Kitty cartridge on my Cricut. 
I drew the whiskers and eyes on and lined the whole thing in black marker. 
The heart is made using my heart punch which I then slipped into Hello Kitty's hands. 
Claire gave these out with Skittles, Hershey's hugs, and a pink candy stick.

Oliver's valentines for his day care friends were little Ziploc baggies filled with animal crackers.
The card on top says "I'm WILD about you!  Happy Valentine's Day. Love, Oliver"
I made these on Microsoft Publisher and added a heart sticker to the monkey's chest.
This was a fast, easy project. I thought they were pretty cute!

Here is my little sweetie with her baby doll, Rosabelle Elizabeth. 
They wore their matching Dollie & Me Valentine's Day outfits!
Don't you love her headband too?


I had the table all set when everyone got home.  I had cupcake photo holders at each seat with a heart shaped homemade valentine for each of them. 
 I wrote a special message on each one for each child and one for Ryan too!

Hugh got me the daisies!

I gave Ryan a book.  He is a free-lance outdoor writer so I got him this book of the greatest outdoorsman quotes.  He had mentioned once that he would like this book.  That was quite a while back, but I am a good listener and have a good memory so I ordered it for him.  He was pleasantly surprised when he opened it!
I wrapped it in brown craft paper and used red crayon to write I (heart) you.  The heart is a sticker!
 

 Each of the kids has a chair backpack from Pottery Barn.  I filled each with new books, little toys, and a couple treats.  All three kids were so excited when they found their surprises on the backs of the chairs.  Claire insisted on wearing hers around!

A platter of strawberry cupcakes (with real strawberries) were the centerpiece
as well as the dessert!


Dinner was ravioli (Ryan had his with mushrooms) and broccoli slaw, corn, garlic bread,
and fruit cocktail - many of the kids' favorites! 

Daddy took Oliver's shirt off because it is easier to clean pasta sauce off his belly than off his shirt!


 Grandma & Boppa came over with little boxes of valentine cookies for the kids.  They loved opening their own box and finding a big pink cookie with their name on it!

Claire got Boppa to read to her before he left!

I had to put an end to the sweets - Claire just kept eating and eating!  Luckily no bellyaches!

Ryan gave me a wooden music box that plays "Love Story" and has a beautiful love poem on the top of it.  I was surprised. It is not like him to be so romantic or to plan ahead. :) I guess I didn't take a picture of the music box.  :(
Hope you all had a lovely Valentine's Day with your sweeties too! 

1 Corinthians 13

1 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is LOVE.

2 comments:

  1. I love the valentine tree.. so simplistic and lovely. I usually do something similar in the spring with painted salt dough star ornaments. I just love the look of empty branches to bring that outdoor element in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness, your decorations are lovely!!

    ReplyDelete