Monday, March 12, 2012

St. Patrick's Day Mantel

St. Patrick's Day is a big deal in our family.  With Irish ancestors on both sides, we really get into the spirit of things.  Ryan's aunt has a big St. Patrick's Day every year, and I always make a corned beef and cabbage dinner for us to enjoy on St. Patrick's Day.
Some of our St. Patrick's Day decor is special because we received some of the items for wedding gifts.  The mantel decor holds some of our special Irish treasures.



This copper Irish claddagh was a gift from Ryan's aunt for our wedding.  The Irish claddagh is dated back to the 1700s and is a traditional Irish symbol of love (heart), friendship (hands), and loyalty (crown.)


These porcelain ornaments were also a wedding gift from some very special family friends.  The tops of the ornaments are encircled with a gold Irish claddagh and each ornament has a line from a well known Irish prayer:

May the road rise up to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back,
and until we meet again
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.


This white cross with the shamrocks on it was also a wedding gift.  We received this gift from Ryan's cousin.  I put it in this tall glass cylinder cozy in a bed of green paper shreds. 

This is one of our engagement pictures.  Oh, my we look so young!  Ryan is holding me in his arms in this picture.  The picture was taken in October of 1999.  My sister gave us this frame as an anniversary gift several years ago.


These two Celtic crosses were also gifts.  The taller one was a wedding gift from a family friend and the smaller one was a gift from one of Ryan's colleagues a few years ago.



The wooden shamrock with the saying "May nothing but happiness come through your door" was a gift from my sister years ago.  It has an Irish cottage hand painted on it.  In and among the Irish decor, I stuck in some of our little shamrock bears that were gifts to our children from various friends and family members throughout the years.



I made this wreath just recently.  I had been wanting to try the yarn and felt wreaths I had seen on some craft blogs so I did it in different shades of green for St. Patrick's Day.  I will later include a tutorial on how I  made it. I hung this sweet angel in the middle of the wreath.  The angel ornament was a gift for Claire when she was a baby.  The angel is holding shamrocks and has a traditional Irish poem on her dress. 


Not only does the Irish decor on the mantel get us in the St. Patty's Day holiday spirit, but it also is special because it is a collection of gifts from several very special people in our lives.

2 comments:

  1. Very Cute!! I love the wreath! Thanks for sharing this as well at Thursday's Temptation.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I would love for you to stop by and link up at my Linky Party via:
    http://ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com/2012/03/show-me-what-you-got-linky-party-6.html

    Mrs. Delightful
    www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete