Wednesday, March 14, 2012

St. Patrick's Day Meal - Recipes

Corned Beef Brisket with Cabbage Cream Sauce
and Apple-Onion Saute



They say the way to man's heart is through his stomach.  Well, this time of year I think my husband loves me more than ever.  This is the meal I make every St. Patrick's Day.  These pictures do not do it justice - trust me, it is DELICIOUS!

Corned Beef Brisket

2 1/2 to 31/2 pound boneless corned beef brisket
2 cups chopped onions
5 cloves garlic, peeled
1 1/2 teaspoons pickling spice
1 bottle Guinness beer    


1. Preheat oven to 350 F.  Placed corned beef brisket in large roasting pan.  Add onions and garlic to pan.  Sprinkle brisket with pickling spice.  Pour the bottle of beer over the whole thing.  Cover pan tightly with aluminum foil.  Cook at 350 degrees for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours or until beef is fork-tender.


2.  Remove brisket from pan; trim off any fat.  Carve diagonally across the grain.  Top with cabbage cream sauce before serving.


Several years ago, I attended an authentic Irish cooking class led by Chef Carl F. Tanner from Zehnders of Frankenmuth, Michigan.  This was one of my favorite recipes I got from that class.  It is fast and easy and really adds to the corned beef dish.

Cabbage Cream Sauce

6 tablespoons butter
6 tablespoons flour
3 cups milk, heated slowly in a separate pan
salt and white pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups cabbage, chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped onions

1. Melt butter in sauce pan over medium-high heat.
2. Add flour and stir to combine, making a roux/paste.
3. Gradually add the heated milk, stirring well.
4. Cook over medium heat until it begins to boil and thicken. Reduce heat to very low and simmer, stirring often for 5 to 10 minutes.
5.  Saute the chopped cabbage and onions together in butter in a separate pan
6. Season with salt and white pepper to taste
7. Stir in the cabbage and onion mixture and simmer another 10 minutes. Serve over corned beef.




Apple Onion Saute

3 tablespoons butter, divided
2 medium onions, cut into thin slices
2 large Granny Smith apples, cored and sliced
2 large Jonathan apples, cored and sliced
2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar

1. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions;  cook and stir 15 minutes or until lightly browned. 
2. Add apples, remaining butter and brown sugar to onions.  Cook and stir an additional 5 to 8 minutes or until apples are crisp-tender. Yummy!



I feel like my photographs aren't doing a good job of showing how delicious this meal really is.  If only I could give you all a little taste.  Oh, well, you'll just have to try it yourself!  TRY IT!! You won't be sorry! 

2 comments:

  1. I have never had this before...we are not too festive on the day of St. Patrick's Day with food. But I think I need to start that tradition! This sounds good! Thanks for sharing at Thursday's Temptation.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! I would love for you to stop by and link up at my Linky Party via:
    http://ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com/2012/03/show-me-what-you-got-linky-party-6.html

    Mrs. Delightful
    www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete