Tuesday, March 13, 2012

St. Patty's Day Ribbon Topiary

As some of you may already know, I am obsessed with making wreaths - see HERE - and I love tulle and ribbon.  I have lots of both and am always excited to start a new project.
Ryan's aunt has a St. Patrick's Day party every year and I wanted to take her a little hostess gift.
 Taking a little breather from wreaths, I decided to make her a St. Patrick's Day ribbon topiary using several different green types of ribbon.


Items I used:
-15 different types of ribbon (a little of each, didn't use it all up)
-a styrofoam ball
-a 12 inch dowl (I painted it white.)
-vase with a hidden chunk of floral foam inside and surrounded by green moss
-lots of straight pins

I stuck the dowel in the floral foam and then attached the styrofoam ball to the top.


I then cut the ribbon into strips about 4 inches long.  I shaped each piece of ribbon so the ends met and used one straight pin to attach each ribbon to the styrofoam ball.

I did this over and over and over with all the different types of ribbon.
The ribbon varied in design, shades of green, texture, and widths. 
I love the variety all together.



I like to turn the pieces of ribbon in different directions so the pieces are all laying differently. 
I think you can fit more on that way and it gives it a fuller look.


In addition to the green ribbon and St. Patrick's Day ribbon, I added a couple pieces of camouflage ribbon too.  Ryan's aunt and uncle are both deer hunters and I knew they would appreciate the extra little touch of camo. (They did!)


I used one of the ribbons to make a large bow around the vase as a finishing touch.
I love how it turned out.  I think I will make one for my table too!


3 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea! I would love for you to link up at my linky party via: www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com.

    Mrs. Delightful
    www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!! So cute! Great job! Thanks for sharing this as well at Thursday's Temptation.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete