Saturday, April 21, 2012

For the Birds

One of the things I look forward to most about spring is the birds!  I love having my bedroom window open so the first thing I hear in the morning is birds singing, and I keep my bathroom window open so I can listen to them as I get ready for my day.  I love how my kids notice the birds too and get so excited when they see a robin. 

I have brought the birds in, so to speak, this spring!  I found this large glass dome at TJ Maxx early in the spring and I fell in love with it!  I love the bird perched on the top.  And at only $12, I had to bring it home!



I found this platter that I had stored away and I put a real birds' nest on it.  (My son had found the nest, perfectly in tact, laying in the yard the year before.)  I added a little big of pink artificial nesting material to add a tiny bit of color, and I put three artificial eggs in the nest.  My daughter, Claire (3) admires this display often and says the bird on the top is mommy and the three eggs are Hugh, Claire, and Ollie (she and her brothers.)


There are tons of other birdish things on Pinterest and in blogland right now too.  I thought I would share some of my favorites!


Cozy Homes Scenes featured a tutorial on how to make these darling napkin holders.  I love these!  This would be pretty as part of a spring tablescape or for Easter dinner.  Or what about this...3 eggs - and use this for a baby shower where they are expecting triplets?  Or just use 2 eggs for a twin shower! How sweet!

________________________________________________________________________


Bird Necklace with Bird Nest on Branch
I got this necklace from the smilesophie shop on Etsy.  This shop has 200+ items for sale and many of them are bird/nest items.  They have lots of different styles of bird and nest and egg necklaces to choose from.  Check it out. 

____________________________________________________________________________


Shabby Pillow Sham - Life is Good (customizable to any colors)

This is another bird item from an Etsy shop.  The shop is called MadisonReeceDesigns. She has several different "bird" type of products.  I have two of her pillow covers and I love them!  She has very unique items.  This "Life is Good" pillow cover is something new in her shop.  I love it and think it would be a great little addition to my spring decor!

_____________________________________________________________________________

Ummm...Check this out...
Bird’s Nest Bed
Don't you want to snuggle into this bed?  I read it holds up to 16 people.  I haven't actually found this for sale.  I found it on Pinterest and it linked back to this site:  http://www.incrediblethings.com/home/birds-nest-bed/
I think as crafty as I am and as handy as my dad is, we could make something like this.  Well, I mean we could make something like this.  I don't know if we really will!
Click HERE to read more.

__________________________________________________________________________


Tufted Titmouse in nest box

I found this website that gives helpful information on attracting birds with nest boxes. 
It talks about what types of birds will nest in small, cozy places and how to maintain your nest boxes.
Neat, huh?  My son, Hugh LOVES birds and taking care of birds - bird seed, bird houses, bird feeders...he is into it all! 

____________________________________________________________________________


How about Birds Nest Cookies?  I found this recipe on www.allrecipes.com.

Ingredients
  • 3 cups crispy rice cereal
  • 1 cup flaked coconut
  • 1/3 cup corn syrup
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup peanut butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 40 jellybeans (could use chocolate, candy coated eggs too)

Directions

  1. In a medium bowl, stir together the crispy rice cereal and coconut. In a large saucepan, combine corn syrup, brown sugar, peanut butter, and vanilla. Cook over medium heat stirring frequently until the mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat, and stir in the coconut and cereal mixture until it is well coated. Set the mixture aside until cool enough to handle.
  2. Form the mixture into balls, then make an indention in the center so that they look like little bird nests. Place two or three jelly beans into each nest.
___________________________________________________________________________
Bird Art for Kids
This is an art project I have been working on with my second grade students.  We first talked about the shapes needed to draw a bird and discussed how it would look different sitting in a nest or flying in the air.  They then drew the outline of the bird with few details using oil pastels. 

During our next class period they used watered down acrylic paints to paint their bird pictures.  This is an example of some of their work.  They turned out beautiful!  As a mom, I would frame this and hang it up at home!


And I will leave you with this photo taken by my 8 year old son, Hugh, this past January.  I think we have a wildlife photographer in the making...

1 comment:

  1. Wow I love all those photos. I especially love the bird glass dome, now that is something I would really like to have!

    ReplyDelete