Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Working Mom Meal


Salmon, Rice, Roasted Tomatoes, and Salad


In a recent post, I talked about taking better care of myself and making a better effort to be fully aware of what I am putting into my mouth.  Being a working mom, dinner is always a challenge - deciding what to make, making sure I have all the ingredients ahead of time, finding the time to make it while little people are running around under my feet, and the clean up afterwards.

This is a recent meal that I made that was fast, easy, and very healthy.  It allowed me to continue the "love myself more" goal I have been having and at the same time provide my family with a home cooked meal.  I wasn't sure how well it would go over with my little ones, but it turns out they really liked it!

Salmon - I just bought a frozen salmon, thawed it in cold water, added some lemon pepper seasoning and baked it according to package directions. 

Rice - Uncle Ben's!

Tomatoes - I washed two large tomatoes, sliced them, put them on a cookie sheet sprayed with olive oil cooking spray, added chopped cilantro to the top, a dash of sea salt, and shredded cheese to the top of that.  350 degrees for 25 minutes.

Salad - Pre cut, pre washed green salad mix then added peeled, fresh carrot.

My daughter had tried salmon every time I made it and had it in her head she didn't like fish.  Again, at this dinner she tried it and liked it.  Huh?  I guess the whole idea of introducing a new food and then continuing to reintroduce a food to a child works sometimes!

The kids LOVED the rice mix.  They always do and there are never leftovers.  They also LOVED the fresh peeled carrots and they kept me busy at the dinner table peeling more and more for them. Apparently the "peeled" aspect was much more fun than our usual cut up carrot sticks.

I felt pretty darn good about myself that night.  A healthy meal for myself, hubby, and the kids that we all actually enjoyed.  Gold star for mommy!

1 comment:

  1. Mmm - this looks so great. Thanks for sharing it at my linky party.

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete