Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Beautiful Summer Water Garden

To say my dear friend, Lisa, has a green thumb would be a huge understatement!  She has always amazed me with her talents.  Everything she touches indoors and outdoors turns out beautiful.  I am thrilled to share with you some pictures of the summer water garden she created in her yard.




I was impressed when Lisa told me she dug this little pond herself, by hand!  A pretty amazing feat in itself, if you ask me! Not to mention she has a husband, two sons, and a dog that keep her busy! This is what she had to say...

"Initially it took about a week to dig and put down the liner and shape the falls, hook up the pump and adjust so both ponds stayed full. It's kind of an on-going project. I am always finding a plant that I think would be better here than there. Or someone gives me a plant to put in. Those are the best, free, and I always think of that person when I go by or pull those dreadful weeds around it."



She added...

"It has a little waterfall that goes down to the first level of our retaining walls. I mostly have perennials planted but I stuck some annuals (trailing petunias) in here and there and down the waterfall to tie it all together. I do not plant frogs - they just come. I did plant goldfish though.  I have to be careful to make sure that I leave a couple of flat unplanted walk up spots on the water's edge for the boys and various nephews that always want to catch the frogs or rescue a fish that took an unexpected ride down the falls!"

This one came out a little blurry, but this is the lower pond.




"Now it seems that we just have to maintain it. Every spring something shifts or settles and we have to tweak something...like build up an edge or adjust the flat rock at the top of the waterfall so the water flows evenly over the edge. The most recent annoyance is moles. I never know where the next mound of dirt is going to be! Lucy (the dog) helped out with one the other day. Which was great, but then I had to fill in her hole that she dug to get to the mole! Lots of fun!"

Lucy
Impressive, huh?


Thank you, Lisa, for sharing with us!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Don't forget to sign up for the Sister-Dipity giveaway for the autographed children's chapter book.  Click HERE to enter.

4 comments:

  1. What a great water feature! All looks healthy and well put together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! Such Beauty and tranquillity:) Gorgeous. Your doggy is adorable as well:) Im your newest follower!You had me sold at your ABOUT ME.Love your blog! Thank you:) Deidre~ http://simplysimplisticated4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Love this! I so want to do one myself and haven't had the time to tackle it yet. But this makes me want to do it now. Found you via a blog hop and am now a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful and peaceful!! We appreciate you linking up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday". Hope you'll come back soon! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete