Friday, June 29, 2012

Patriotic Cakeballs




This is how I made them...I am giving you directions for the white cake balls...
Ingredients:

  • 1 devil's food cake mix
  • 1 can of chocolate fudge frosting
  • 1 package Wilton white candy melts


I made the cake as the box instructed. I let it cool for about an hour. Then I broke it into chunks and put it in a big bowl. I added about 3/4 of the can of chocolate frosting. I then mushed it all together. I used the Mix & Chop from Pampered Chef. (One of my very most favorite kitchen gadgets ever!) Here is a picture of it...
Image Detail

I then rolled the cake into small balls and put it on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. I put it in the fridge for about 20 minutes. This allowed them to become firm and little easier to work with.
After removing them from the fridge, I melted some white chocolate melts in a glass bowl in the microcowave for about 1 minute 30 seconds and stirred it until smooth. I then spooned a small amount of melted candy into each of the wells of a mini cupcake candy mold (like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups would be) pan and pressed the cake balls down into the melted candy so the melted candy pushed up the sides a bit and formed a shell around the cakeball.
Spoon a small amount of melted candy into mold

Gently push cakeballs down into the melted candy
I refrigerated them like this for about 10 minutes. I then just tipped them over and popped them out!  Then I melted more white candy melts in the microwave and stirred them until smooth. I then took ahold of the cupcake bites and dipped them into the melted candy melts.  I sort of swirled them around to cover each cakeball completely and set them on wax paper to harden.  This only takes a couple of minutes. 

I did this same process using a red velvet cake mix and cream cheese frosting for the red cakeballs and a yellow cake mix and cream cheese frosting for the blue cakeballs. While the blue cakeballs were still damp from the top coat of candy melts, I added one white candy sprinkle to the top to represent the stars on the flag.  I then laid them all out in a flag pattern on a pretty white platter. This recipe makes LOTS of cakeballs (especially when you make 3 batches as I did) and they freeze well.  I popped them into Ziploc bags and will keep them in the freezer until our 4th of July party.  As guests are enjoying the little treats, I can easily replenish the platter keeping the flag pattern!


I got my candy molds at a cake and candy shop and I got the Wilton candy molds from Walmart. 



---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Linking up to this 4th of July link party -


Check out my Linky Party Page to see which other linky parties I am joining this week!

4 comments:

  1. These are not only adorable to look at but look so yummy. I will be featuring these tomorrow afternoon on Blissful and Domestic:>

    www.blissfulanddomestic.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey lady! I just wanted to let you know I featured you today on Blissful and Domestic. Stop by and check it out:>

    Danielle @ Blissful and Domestic
    www.blissfulanddomestic.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delicious, and so fun! You were selected to be my blog of the week this week, this means I am showing you off tonight, and I will keep your button in my sidebar for a week... also I would love for you to introduce yourself/blog sometime next week on my blog! Email me or leave a comment on my blog for more info!

    Carlee
    www.ladybirdln.com

    ReplyDelete