Sunday, September 9, 2012

Soup Sunday - Corn Chowder

As a child, I didn't really like soup. Well, nothing more than Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup. As I became an adult and was more willing to try new things, I realized that I LOVE SOUP! Soup is cozy comfort food to me now! A couple years ago I instituted what I called "Soup Sundays" in our house. Every Sunday I make a pot of soup throughout the fall and winter months. It is cozy to have soup to look forward to every Sunday evening and convenient to have leftovers the next day. I decided that throughout the fall months, I would share my "Soup Sunday" soup recipes with you here on the blog.

I found this recipe by Rachel Ray called "Harvest Corn Choup" and I have been making it for several years now! It is especially warm, comfy, and cozy soup. Our family loves it. Making it with fresh corn right off the cob makes it even better, although I have done it with canned and frozen corn too.  I made this last week with corn we picked from my parents' garden. The kids especially appreciated having soup made with Boppa's corn! (The zucchini was from the other grandparents' garden and the pepper, onion, and potatoes were from a local farmer's market! Can't get any better than that!)  My little Oliver LOVED it, asked for seconds, and then licked the bowl clean...

 
The recipe I am sharing is a bit different than Rachel' Ray's exact recipe, but this is how I make it... 

Ingredients


  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 4 slices bacon, chopped
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 4 to 5 large ears corn, scraped from cob
  • 1 medium or 2 small zucchini, chopped
  • 1 pound small potatoes, chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 1 quart chicken broth
  • 1 cup heavy cream
 

Directions

Heat a medium soup pot over medium-high heat with extra-virgin olive oil. Add bacon to hot oil and cook until crisp at edges. Add onions and corn, zucchini and potatoes and bell pepper as you get them chopped. Add paprika and salt and pepper, to taste. Cook for about 7 to 8 minutes to begin to soften the vegetables. Sprinkle flour into the pot, stir and cook 1 minute. Stir in the broth and let it come to a bubble and thicken up a bit. Then stir in cream and simmer for about 5 minutes. Season the soup with salt and pepper. Enjoy!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment