Friday, October 26, 2012

A Blogging Mama


Pinned Image
{via}
 

I am often asked "How do you do it?" Those people asking are referring to how do I do it all - a mother of 3, a wife, an elementary music/art teacher (with 3 Christmas programs coming up VERY soon), an evening music teacher to 30 toddler and preschoolers, the PR person for our community arts council, the Young Author's chairperson for our school, a blogger, a crafter....you get the picture. How do I do it? Well, let me tell you a secret...I don't do it very well!  Last year another mother of two young children was dropping her two little ones off at day care at the same time I was and she was feeling rather overwhelmed. She said to me "I don't know how you do it. You always seem to have it all together and your hair always looks so nice..." Ha! I laughed right out loud. I said "Boy, do I have you fooled!" :) One of the day care workers (who is also a mother) heard this conversation and said, "Isn't that what it's all about? Fooling each other?"  Yup. I loved the compliment but truly did laugh about it. I do not have it all together. Not ever. And I must have just been having a good hair day that day!

Blogging is not just one more thing on my to-do list that I must try to squeeze into my busy schedule.  Blogging is different. Blogging serves multiple purposes for me as a busy working mom.  One thing it does for me is give me a little boost. If all you knew of me was this blog, well, heck I might just look like I do have it all together. When I'm feeling overwhelmed or feel like throwing myself a pity party, I look through my blog archives - the recipes, the crafts, the kid projects, the photos - it cheers me up a bit to see what I have accomplished, what I have organized, and what fun things I have done with and for my kids. My life as seen on the blog, gives even me the illusion of a mother who has it all together! {giggle!} Readers of my blog do not see my messy house or my bad hair days! :)

Blogging is a creative outlet for me. See, in my adult life I have learned something about myself. In order for me to be "okay" or rather, to function well I must be doing something creative. I must be engaged in something that challenges me creatively. Blogging does this for me. The blog world is filled with creative inspiration and is truly the ultimate mommy resource.  Mothers all over the world sharing ideas, tips, advice, recipes, stories...It is like the perfect busy mother magazine but rather than getting a subscription in the mail, you can read it all free from blogging mamas! Having a blog and reading blogs helps me to be more creative and helps me express my creativity too.

Blogging also helps me be intentional as a mother. For example, my Soup Sunday Series where I am sharing a different soup recipe every week...for the past couple years I have made Sundays "Soup Sunday" at our house. This year I thought, "Why not blog it? I'm doing it anyway."  I am doing it anyway but this year is different because we have had a different soup every Sunday and have not repeated any so far! I am making a deliberate effort to introduce my family to a variety of soups. So far, my family finds them all a hit and my husband is enjoying trying the different kinds of soups all the time!

Blogging helps me connect with other busy mothers.  My children do not let me talk on the phone (see HERE) and I do not get the opportunity to get together with friends very often.  Blogging helps me connect with other women who are like me. I am amazed at the wonderful "blogger friends" I've made whom I never would have gotten to know otherwise. The Maternal and Child Health Journal reports that a recent study shows that moms who publish and read blogs stress less than moms who don't. Geez, just think how stressed I'd be if I didn't blog! All You magazine added, "Being part of an online community makes mommy bloggers feel better connected overall." Yes, yes, yes! I agree. I can't say how many times I've seen a "before" picture of a messy house and thought "Oh, good! It's not just me!" or heard a mother tell about their frustrations with potty training and recognized those feelings too. Blogging allows you to connect with other people who are living similar lives, dealing with similar struggles, and enjoying activities you enjoy.

Blogging also acts as my online, ongoing scrapbook. I have my camera with me all the time and take tons of pictures of everything. The blog keeps me organized as far as remembering how I did a craft or what materials I used - I can just look it up. The blog (and Pinterest) help me to organize recipes too. Much quicker to click a couple buttons on the computer for a favorite recipe rather than to dig through my recipe box. The crafts, recipes, kid resources and projects, our family trips, parties, photos - it is all what I'm doing anyway, so why not blog it and share it with others? I know family and friends who are long distance appreciate keeping up with us this way.

I work on my blog a little every day but some days much more than others. Friday nights after the kids go to bed and Sunday afternoons are my prime blogging times. Also, sometimes during the week when I am up much earlier than everyone else, I may blog while I enjoy a cup of coffee. Friday nights, Sunday afternoons, and 5:00 am are my most ideal blogging opportunities. I can get a lot done.  Also, Blogger allows me to put my posts on a timer so I can write a blog post on a Sunday and schedule it to officially post on, oh...say a Tuesday at 1:30 pm.  It works good. And, if you have been following for long, you may have noticed that some weeks I post every single day and other weeks I may only post a couple times. This past summer I didn't post nearly as often because with all 5 of us off for the summer, we were often gone away on little mini-vacations or staying up late together. We didn't have the same routine we have during the school year, and without that routine I couldn't get as much done.

I really think I am a better mother since I've become a blogger.  I am putting forth more of an effort to do projects with the kids and try new recipes. I am allowing myself some "mom" time.  As a mother of three and an elementary teacher, I am sharing ideas that hopefully can help other mothers in one way or another. I've always been an aspiring writer - this is getting my "work" instantly published! Getting a new follower or having an idea featured on another blog or receiving a nice comment from a reader is such a confidence boost too! I'm more than a working, cooking, cleaning mom - Sister-Dipity lets ME shine through a little bit out into the world. I certainly do not "do it all" but I do find the blog to be my me time. And all moms need some time for themselves.




2 comments:

  1. I LOVE reading your blog. I don't have kids so it's very entertaining for me to read about your life. The food always looks delicious, the crafts are always easy to do and the kids always look like they're having a great time! I don't know how you do everything you do!

    ReplyDelete