Saturday, October 27, 2012

Pumpkin Bread

 
During my college years, I took care of a very special elderly lady when I was home in the summers. She was the mother and grandmother of family friends and she lived alone. They hired me to spend the night with her a couple nights a week, check in on her every so often, take her out to eat and take her grocery shopping. Every week we'd go through the same grocery store and every week she would buy a can of pineapple. Evidently, she was unaware that her kitchen cupboards were filled with cans of pineapple and each week she just added to the collection. :) I am the same way with pumpkin. I guess every time I do my grocery shopping during the fall months, I bring home a can of pumpkin just in case I don't have one at home and I might need some. I have several cans around here! Wanted to use some up the other day and treat my family so I made this pumpkin bread.
 
Ingredients
 

3 cups canned pumpkin
Pampered Chef Sweet Cinnamon Sprinkle (optional) - See Below
 
Directions
 
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour three 9x5 inch loaf pans.
In a large bowl, mix together the pumpkin, oil, sugar, and eggs. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves; stir into the pumpkin mixture until well blended. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans. Shake cinnamon sprinkle mix over the top of each loaf if desired.  Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour. The top of the loaf should spring back when lightly pressed.

The Pampered Chef Sweet Cinnamon Sprinkle mix has been discontinued. :( I feel bad sharing it in the recipe knowing it is no longer available. It was really good as a topping on this bread. You could make your own though. The main ingredients include sugar, coconut, brown sugar, cinnamon, corn syrup, and corn cereal. The mix is small chunks similar to the crumble for the tops of crumb cake.


 
 
 
*Source of original recipe found HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment