Sunday, October 14, 2012

Soup Sunday - Pumpkin Shrimp Soup

 
Pumpkin Shrimp Soup?!?! I know, I know.  Sounded strange to me too. I ran it by my husband who said I was just going to waste perfectly good shrimp! But we like pumpkin and we like shrimp so...You don't know if you like it or not until you try, right?

 
Ingredients Needed...
 

2 medium onions, sliced
2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
1 tablespoonsnipped fresh cilantro
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
2 tablespoons margarine or butter
1 14 ounce can chicken broth
1 15 ouncecanpumpkin
1 cup milk
1 8 ounce package frozen, peeled, cooked shrimp, thawed
 
Directions
 
1. In a covered large saucepan cook the onions, carrots, cilantro, ginger, garlic, and allspice in hot margarine for 10 to 12 minutes or until the vegetables are tender, stirring once or twice.
 
2. Transfer the mixture to a blender container or food processor bowl. Add 1/2 cup of the chicken broth. Cover and blend or process until nearly smooth.
 
3. In the same saucepan combine pumpkin, milk, and remaining broth. Stir in the blended vegetable mixture and the 8 ounces shrimp; heat through. Ladle soup into soup bowls. Makes 4 servings.
 
I found the recipe from Better Homes & Gardens. I didn't do exactly like they say, but pretty close. I made a bigger portion of soup - about double.  I have to admit, while I was making this soup, I was thinking "I can't blog about something I don't like. I can't share this recipe."  It smelled good with the carrots, onions, and spices all together in the butter but it smelled rather fallish -  pumpkin piesh to me. The thought of putting shrimp with something that smelled like pumpkin pie wasn't very appealing to me.  So, I fed it to my husband instead! Ha! He ate it and loved it! I, of course, then had to try it! Oh, yum! It was a much more subtle taste than I was imagining. I really liked how the broth was a pumpkin/carrot mix. It had kind of a squash sort of taste to it, I thought. It was very good. I do highly recommend it! I will be making it again this fall for sure!
 
My guinea pig....and satisfied customer!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment