Sunday, October 28, 2012

Soup Sunday - Apple Cider Beef Stew

 
About 10 years ago my friend Katie made this stew for a fall get-together. It was so delicious and I've thought about it every fall since then. I emailed Katie and her mom and asked if they still had the recipe.  Katie sent it to me and I made it myself for the first time. I should have asked for the recipe years ago. I love this stew.
 
Ingredients
 
2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
2 tablespoons canola oil
4 cups apple cider
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
3 teaspoons of salt
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
4 medium carrots cut up
3 celery ribs cut up
2 medium onions, cut into wedges
1/4 cup flour
1/4 water
 
Directions
 
Brown beef on all sides in oil over medium-high heat. Drain. Put in large pot and add cider, vinegar, salt, thyme, and pepper; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat cover and simmer for about an hour. Add potatoes, carrots, celery, and onions and return to boil.  Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until beef and vegetables are tender. In small bowl combine flour and water until smooth; stir into stew. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for two minutes or until thickened.


 
Perfect fall dish and even more special served with a slice of pumpkin bread!
See HERE for the pumpkin bread recipe. Enjoy!


 
*****************************
 
Linking up HERE
and
here - http://www.aglimpseinsideblog.com/

1 comment:

  1. This sounds so incredibly good! I've pinned it and look forward to trying it very soon!

    ReplyDelete