Sunday, October 21, 2012

Soup Sunday - Chicken Tortilla Soup


I have had Chicken Tortilla Soup before but had never made it myself. I Googled a few different versions of the recipe but there were things about each of them that I didn't want so I thought "I can come up with my own." I wanted to work with ingredients I already had on hand. This is what I came up with...

Ingredients

drizzle of olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1.5 pounds cooked, cubed chicken breast
2 large cans of chicken broth
1 jar salsa
1 can corn
1 can green chilis
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp cumin
1 package small flour tortilla shells
shredded Monterey Jack cheese
cilantro
sour cream

Directions

In large soup pot, brown chopped onion in olive oil. Add chicken breast, chicken broth, salsa, corn, green chilis, garlic, and cumin. Cook on medium high heat for about 30 minutes. Cut tortilla shells into strips (I used a pizza cutter - it cut the strips quickly.) Stir tortilla strips into soup. Allow tortilla strips to soften. Ladle into soup bowls. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top, add a dollop of sour cream, and chopped cilantro to garnish. It is delish!
 
********
I have mentioned in a few different recipes now using "1.5 pounds cooked, cubed chicken breast." Being a working mom and having little people under my feet in the kitchen - I like convenient and fast! I use Cooked, Diced Chicken from Schwan's. It is already cooked and then frozen. It is so convenient - saves having to cook and cut up the chicken yourself. You also do not have to thaw it for soup recipes. It works great to just throw it in!

{via}


************************************************************************

Linking up HERE.



5 comments:

  1. Just pinned this! I love a good soup so I am making this over the weekend. Just dropping in from the hop to check out this yummy looking soup. I would also love to invite you to share this or any of your other favorite posts at Freedom Fridays Blog Hop. (no rules and live now)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! This looks delicious and so simple to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds fantastic. Going to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guess who was featured at Freedom Fridays this week??? I am not telling, lol:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just sprinkled this post at all my favorite places: Facebook, pinterest and Twitter! Thank you for sharing at Freedom Fridays Blog Hop!

    Hope your weekend is wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete