Thursday, November 29, 2012

Christmas Countdown Book Gift

My sister, Julie, and her little girl, Addie blowing kisses to daddy!
 
I've seen all over the Internet different Christmas countdown ideas. One that I thought would be fun was the idea of wrapping up our Christmas books and letting my kids unwrap one every night from December 1st until Christmas Eve. I considered it but...we have our favorites every year that we like to read over and over so I decided not to do it for my own three munchkins. However, this is my niece, Addie's 2nd Christmas (and she is an only child) so she doesn't own a lot of Christmas books yet. My sister, Cherie and I decided we would do the book idea as a gift for Addie this year.
 
 
Cherie and I each bought 12 books so we had a total of 24. Some of the books were hardcover, some paperback, some board books...a variety!

 
We decided which book we wanted Addie to have on which day of December. For many of them it didn't matter but we did want her to have a version of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas on the actual night before Christmas. We also wanted to avoid having her open the board books every night for several nights in a row - we wanted it to stay interesting!
 
 
 
We wrapped the books in different Christmas wrapping paper. My son, Hugh, cut the colored strips from paint samples and labeled them with the number of the day we wanted Addie to open each one from December 1st through the 24th. We taped a label to each book.
 
 
 

 
I had this super cute red and green Christmas basket that held the books very nicely. We packaged them all up and gave them to Addie at Thanksgiving.
 



 
An early Christmas gift from her Aunties and cousins! We know she will look forward to opening one each night. It was fun to adapt this idea to give as a gift!
 
***********************************************************
 
Don't forget to enter the Sister-Dipity giveaway for a $30.00 store credit to Jubilee Jewelry! Click HERE to enter!

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea! I live in Va. and my grand-daughter lives in IL. She calls each evening and I read a few pages of a Christmas story to her. It would be so sweet if her daughter read the same little books every year in the same order. :)

    ReplyDelete