Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Working Mom Meal - Baked Ham Sandwiches


 
I have seen different versions of this recipe several times and thought it sounded good. I made it for my family for a quick, fun dinner during the Super Bowl. It was perfect Super Bowl food but would also work great as a working mom meal because it is fast, easy, calls for easy-to-find ingredients, and is a crowd pleaser. I did not do the recipe exactly as I was finding it online. I found the recipes all varied a bit. For example, some of the recipes called for poppy seeds while others called for poppy seed dressing.
 
 
 
Ingredients Needed
 
1 Package of King's Hawaiian Sweet Rolls (12 pack)
Sliced Ham
Sliced Swiss Cheese
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 stick butter
1/4 cup Marzetti Poppy Seed Dressing
1/4 cup Dijon mustard (not shown in picture)
1 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
 
 Directions

Preheat oven to 350.  Open up package of King's Hawaiian Sweet Rolls and cut each roll in half - so as to cut off the top and "open" the bread for a sandwich. Lay all 12 of the the bottom of the rolls out in a glass baking dish.

 
Cut ham and cheese in squares to fit on rolls.
I used 3 small squares of meat and 2 squares of cheese for each sandwich. It is your own preference.
 
 
 
Lay tops of rolls onto each sandwich. Set aside for now.

 
In a sauce pan, melt butter. Add chopped onions and heat a minute or two stirring with the butter.
Then add remaining ingredients: Dijon mustard, poppy seed dressing, and worcestershire sauce. Heat on medium heat stirring together for about 4 minutes.

 
Pour sauce mixture over the sandwiches and put into oven for 15 minutes.



Remove from oven and let cool for a couple of minutes.
Use a spatula to scoop the little sandwiches onto plates and serve.
 

 
I added fresh fruits and veggies (along with ranch dressing to dip veggies in - at the request of my children.) And - ta-da - a meal! (Somehow the fact that they are baked sandwiches makes it feel like more of a meal.) My husband and children all enjoyed these. I thought they would work good for a fun indoor family picnic too. We could add chips, a pickle, and a glass of lemonade.


1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy! I also have seen seversl versions....we made these for Christmas Eve.....they were a big hit! Would love to have you visit me at pinecreekstyle.blogspot.com Have a beautiful day, NeeCee

    ReplyDelete