Sunday, June 30, 2013

Leaning Flower Towers

 
 
I made this flower tower for my deck and thought I'd share it with you. I made it last year by purchasing one large terracotta pot for the base and four smaller ones for the rest.
 

My dad made the post that is holding it all together.
Here it is without the pots on it...



It is a metal post with a square metal base and a small (about 3 1/2 inch)
metal "arm" sticking out of it.
You can see it just beneath the green pot in the picture below...
 

The pots were just the plain terracotta color they come in but I wanted BRIGHT so I spray painted each one a different color - blue, green, purple, orange, and red. This year (the second year I've used them) they looked a bit worn with some chipping paint. As you can see in the pictures, the green pot also has a huge chip out of it too. I actually really like this chippy, worn look!
 

 
Each pot sort of leans on the edge of the one below it. You can also turn them so they tilt in whichever direction you'd like. I filled mine with bright colored annuals, spikes, and hanging greenery. I love how it turned out.

 
 
  Last fall, I used the same rod and the same idea but did it with pumpkins on my front porch.
See my post HERE about my pumpkin tower!
 
 
This is my mom's flower tower...
 
 
A couple of her terracotta pots broke so she replaced them with what she had on hand which were plastic. They actually worked very well and I like how the tower is a bit different in the middle.

 
If you think of doing your own flower tower, I have a tip for  you...
water each pot s-l-o-w-l-y as they can drip. Doing it slowly allows the water to be absorbed without merely flushing potting soil out.
 
Flower towers ~ Just another reason I LOVE SUMMER!!!

1 comment:

  1. I Love flip flop planters...yours is so cute... Would love it if you came by and shared it at One More Time Events...http://www.onemoretimeevents.com/2013/06/share-it-one-more-time-features-and_29.html Hope to see you there! Hugs Tammy

    ReplyDelete