Wednesday, August 7, 2013

DIY Mirror to Chalkboard Tutorial



I recently found this at a garage sale....


It did not have a price tag on it so I asked the lady how much it was. She said, "Oh...$2.00?" I took it knowing exactly what I would do with it. 

 
There was some damage to the mirror itself but that was okay!
It was the ornate edging on it I liked!
 
 
I took it home and used painters tape to tape off the inside edge where the mirror and the frame connect.

 
I then used spray chalkboard paint (found at Lowe's) to paint the mirror.
I put about 4 coats of paint on it, allowing it to dry for about 15 minutes between each coat.

 
I then used a piece of chalk to scribble all over the new chalkboard surface. It is important to do this first before you write on it. If you write on it without doing the scribbling step, you are running the risk of having your first message faintly, yet permanently on your chalkboard.
So be sure to scribble all over, then erase before you actually use it the first time.

 
I then covered the chalkboard with cardstock and painters tape to cover it completely.

 
I used Krylon Dual Paint and Primer spray paint in Glossy Red (one of my favorites) to paint the entire frame. I gave it 2 coats making sure to apply at different angles so I could get into all the crevices of the design.


Not the best picture, but here it is, hanging on my wall! I intend to use it for Bible verses for our whole family to see. This first one, 1 Thessalonians 5:11 is one Claire is learning right now in Bible School!

I love how it turned out and kinda feel sad for the lady who sold it to me.
She had no idea what a treasure she had! Since then I have been scouring garage sales for other old mirrors and/or picture frames. Hey, family and friends, guess what you're all getting for Christmas?!?!  

No comments:

Post a Comment