Thursday, October 3, 2013

A New {old} Kitchen Sink

Guest blogger, Brooke Mallory is here again today sharing her new {old} kitchen sink...


Remember when I said how I procrastinate and how I defended myself in the name of creative moodiness ( "I just need to feel it, ya know" ) Well this is a prime example. It is also the focus of my next creative burst. I found this sink on Craigslist for a fraction of the cost of a new one and built the base out of treated newel post, 2 x 4's, brick molding, galvanized electrical conduit (for the shelf below), and MDF door casing. It was a pretty cheap project considering I had no kitchen sink or sink base cabinet for our new (old) house (that is a whole 'nother blog). $295, sink and all! Anyhow, over a year and a half later, the window above and the gap issue behind the sink have still not been tackled.



I think I have it figured out finally! I cannot get the sink back flush to the wall due to plumbing. BOO. I found a guy in midland that makes furniture from thick, kiln-dried slabs of natural wood. He is going to cut me up a whopper of a slab....3.75 inches thick, to use a filler "plate" for the sink back. I am super-excited. Plus I sold some junk on EBay so the $$$ won't be coming out of my normal budget! Of course I will have to rough this thing up a bit and add a hundred-year-old patina (that amazingly money CAN buy) and some old square nails too. Then I can finish trimming out that awful window! The first of many steps to finish my kitchen :)

 
 
Warmest Autumn Regards,
          ~Brooke
 
 
Many thanks, Brooke for sharing your beautiful home and your creative genius here on Sister-Dipity! You are welcome back anytime!


No comments:

Post a Comment