Thursday, October 3, 2013

Fall Mantel

 
I am excited to share my fall mantel with you today. I am so happy with how it turned out. Every time I walk through my front door and see it, I can't help but smile. Home should do that for you!
 
This is how my mantel looked when I thought I was finished...
but I felt like the mirror looked a little lonely. I had originally tried to hang the deer skull to the middle of the mirror. That plan did not work out well. Plan B was to display it on this wreath holder. I actually do like the height it adds to the display. My hubby loves (and can't believe) that I incorporated it (and am allowing it in our living room.) Well, he hunts (and so do our boys) and hunting is a HUGE part of fall in our family so it makes sense to make it part of the decor....for now.
 
Since I felt the mirror looked a teensy bit bare, I decided a natural looking fall banner would be nice. I used my Cricut machine and the Country Life cartridge to cut out these letters to spell "BLESSED." I used that as my stencil. I used red acrylic paint and a sponge brush to paint the letters onto burlap ribbon. I then cut it the length I thought I needed and hung it diagonally on the mirror.
 


I was concerned it might look a little bit "Miss America" ish but went with it anyway.
My husband assures me it looks perfect!

(My apologies for the streaky mirror! I didn't notice in real life but it is REALLY obvious in the pictures!)

This leaf print is very special to me. It was created by my dear childhood friend, Sara. She is such an amazing artist and always has been. I have tons of her artwork but mostly it is little sketches on notebook paper from the 6th grade newspaper she and I created way back when. I don't see her hardly at all any more and feel a wave of sadness wash over me each time I stumble across one of her little drawings. I wanted some of her "real" artwork - her grown-up work! I had been admiring this leaf print from her Etsy shop, Botanical Beauty Arts for a long time. I ordered it and created my mantel display around it. I wanted a very naturalistic theme using colors from the leaf.
See HERE
I ordered this 12x12 dark wood frame from HSN. It did not have glass in it. I then stretched burlap material across it and tucked it in tight on the edges in the back. I used small straight pins to make a little corner holder for each corner of the print. The pins are not in the print itself, just holding the corners in. I LOVE it!
 

See the buck peeking out through the wheat?  He was a free printable from Somewhat Simple and can be found HERE. It says "Welcome Autumn" on the bottom. The frame is one I have used before - an inexpensive wooden frame that I spray painted red.
 
 I just absolutely adore these fall colors!


I plan to keep this up through Thanksgiving! (after I wash the mirror again though!)
 
*********************
Here is a list of where I got each item (left to right):
Candle: Crossroads candle in Buttered Maple Syrup from Prism Antiques
Clay pot of leaves and pumpkin: gift from my hubby years ago purchased at a local flower shop
Skull: the great outdoors
Wreath stand: a local gift shop
Red finial: Hobby Lobby
Orange pedestal: Hobby Lobby (see where I first used it HERE)
Leaf print: Botanical Beauty Art by artist, Sara James Hannick - Etsy shop found HERE
Dark wood 12x12 frame: HSN
Burlap material in frame: Hobby Lobby
Rattan pumpkin: Dollar General (last year purchase)
Mustard colored pitcher: Hobby Lobby
Faux wheat: Hobby Lobby
Buck printable: Somewhat Simple
Glass filler jar: Dollar General (last year purchase)
Filler: some real and some artificial pumpkins, pinecones, leaves, apples (nature and Dollar General)
Burlap for banner: WalMart (in floral department)

********************************
 
Linking up HERE!

1 comment:

  1. Guess I need to go to Hobby Lobby and shop for some fall inspiration...love that store but it's been a long time since I've been in there! I love that you incorporated some of the hunting items in with your display. You're right...home should make you happy, and I bet it makes the whole family happy that they're interests can be included in the decorating too!

    ReplyDelete