Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Bacon Bowls ~ 4 Ways

 
Recently my husband saw the commercial on TV for bacon bowl makers.  You know, the whole..."but WAIT! If you call now, you'll get a second bacon bowl for free!" He got very excited. I laughed! I said, "I can do that without buying those bowls." He was skeptical. I said, "It's just like an upside-down cupcake pan." He was still skeptical. So, I set out to prove it was doable.
 
I cut a piece of bacon in half using kitchen shears and laid the two halves across the top of each cup. I sort of shaped them around the cups so each surface was covered. I then took an additional piece of bacon and wrapped it around the sides to form the cup shape. Each "cup" is made of 2 pieces of bacon.
 
I then baked them in the oven (preheated to 350) for about 20 minutes or until crispy brown.
I then allowed them to cool a bit on the stove top for about 3 minutes. I carefully removed each bacon bowl and put each of them in a ramekin bowl. I had to gently wiggle each bowl to loosen it and lift it off the cupcake tin. I then used ramekins to serve the bacon bowls.
 
Below you will see how we used the bacon bowls to serve four different dishes....
 
 
This one is venison steak cut up, cooked, and mixed with a can of Bush's Bourbon and Brown Sugar Grillin' Beans. We added a pinch of shredded Parmesan cheese to the top! Yum!
 
 
If bacon bowls can be healthy, this is it! This "salad" has greens, cherry tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and pomegranates. It was DELICIOUS! This version is my favorite!
 
 
 
This bacon bowl was a bit hit with my family too! This is my mom's chili recipe. See HERE for recipe. It went great with bacon! (then again....what doesn't?!?!)
 
 
And then we have the breakfast version - classic bacon and eggs....only in a bacon bowl.
 
 
 
Top his bacon bowl breakfast with ketchup and we have a satisfied customer!
 
Note: Before I put the cupcake pan in the oven to bake, I put the whole thing on a cookie sheet. This worked great to help catch the grease. With the actual bacon baking in a raised position, the bacon drained off from it great. I then allowed the grease to cool completely which caused it to solidify a bit. It was then easy to wipe up and throw away, allowing me to wash the pans with less leftover grease involved!

***************************
Have you entered the Sister-Dipity Blog-aversary giveaway going on right now?!?! Well, what are you waiting for? Head on over HERE to enter to win a beautiful burlap pillow from the Etsy shop, Next Door to Heaven.
 
 
**********************
Linking up HERE
 

No comments:

Post a Comment