Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Back to School ~ 25 Ways to Ask Kids About Their Day

Well, if you are like us, you are back to school and well into the swing of things! It has been a crazy, busy few weeks for us but we are all adjusting well to our new schedule! One thing that I find happens every year (especially with my boys) is this...

Me: How was your day?
Son: Fine.

What?!?! That's it?!? I love details. I never get details. My daughter freely fills me in on every detail including who was wearing what, who got in trouble, and what so-and-so had in her lunch box. Opening the lines of communication with her is really not an issue.  I've found with the boys, once I ask some specific questions, they too begin to open up and begin to paint a picture of their day for me. I've also found, especially with my 4 year old, that once I begin the conversation if I just give him time, the details will come later. I try to avoid opened ended questions and ask questions that require more than a "yes" or "no" sort of an answer. Below are some conversations starters I use. You can adjust them to fit your child's circumstances.

  1. What was the best part of your day?
  2. What did you eat for lunch today?
  3. What center did you work at today?
  4. Who was the line leader today?
  5. What did you play at recess?
  6. Who did you play with at recess?
  7. What were you really good at today?
  8. What did you learn today?
  9. What stories did you read today? Tell me about that.
10. Did you take any tests today? How did you feel about it?
11. Did you use markers, colored pencils, crayons, etc. today? What did you make? 
12. What did you write about today?
13. Did you see anyone you knew from another class today? Who?
14. Did you bring any papers home for me to see? (Then look over them together.)
15. Who did you sit with at lunch?
16. What made you laugh today?
17. What was the hardest part of your day?
18. What was the easiest part of your day?
19. What activity did you do in math today? What materials did you use for that?
20. Was everyone there today? If not, who was absent?
21. Who was a good friend to you today? Why?
22. What made you feel frustrated today?
23. Did you sing any songs today? Can you sing it for me?
24. What do you feel thankful for today?
25. What are you looking forward to at school tomorrow?






No comments:

Post a Comment