Friday, October 7, 2016

6 Things I am Loving this Fall











The trees aflame with vibrant colors, the subtle golden light in the evenings as the days get shorter, the crisp, clear air, the call of geese overhead, fields dotted with bright orange pumpkins, pumpkin spice lattes....oh, autumn! What's not to love? Today I am sharing some of my favorite fall things...


fall in love michigan Dishwasher Safe 15oz Ceramic Mug
via


I love fall and I love Michigan. This mug just feels cozy to me. This mug has been greeting me each morning before anyone in my family does!  I met the artist, Katie Doucette when I was in Saugatuck in August. She has tons of unique, charming gifts including lots more mug designs, signs, coasters and custom pieces. I own several of her items now and have given a few as gifts. Check out her Etsy shop to start your Christmas shopping and follow her on Facebook.

2. Gray Shawl




This Gray Ruffle Shawl by David & Young is perfect! #zulilyfinds:



I ordered this shawl through Zulily two years ago. It is perfect for fall days - you know how October may still be 70 degrees during the day but then chilly in the evening? Just wrap up in this. It's like getting a nice warm hug! Perfect for football games, campfires, or an evening walk in the woods. This particular shawl is made by David & Young but similar ones can be found at Target HERE or in cozy alpaca wool from this Etsy shop HERE!












via
I preordered this cookbook before it was released last year so I got it as soon as possible! My copy is filled with sticky notes - trying them all! I love cooking with the seasons and this cookbook hits the spot. My favorite recipe is the Grain Free Pumpkin Muffins. They are so easy and so good! The kids gobble them down. Perfect on busy fall mornings. If you are a pumpkin lover, you've gotta have this book!

4. White Pumpkin Soup Tureen from Better Homes & Gardens
Better Homes and Gardens Pumpkin Tureen with Ladle, Cream Mist
via

Is there anything more comfy and cozy than a bowl of soup? I don't think so. I love making soup as the days get cooler. A few years ago I instituted what I called "Soup Sundays" in our home - a new soup every Sunday from September through December. I enjoy trying new recipes and am always on the lookout for recipes that highlight fall produce. Harvesting squash, pumpkins, peppers, leeks, and onions from our garden to incorporate in my soups just make our Soup Sundays more special.

When I saw this soup tureen at Walmart, I knew it'd be perfect for my homemade soups. It is! It is a great price - about $15.00 and comes with a ceramic ladle. It keeps soups hot for a long time and makes for a pretty centerpiece on the table.

Check out some of my favorite tried and true soup, chowder, and chili recipes HERE. 



https://www.amazon.com/Too-Many-Pumpkins-Linda-White/dp/0823413209
via
This is one of my favorite stories to share with my students and my own three children each October. And honestly, I think when my kids are grown and I have retired from teaching, I will still read this every autumn. It is so good. In this story, the main character, Rebecca Estelle HATES pumpkins and does all she can to avoid them until one day a pumpkin accidentally tumbles out of the back of a truck as it passes her home. What to do? Rebecca Estelle teaches the reader hard work, generosity, independence, and making lemonade out of lemons....or rather, pies out of pumpkins! It is such a sweet story with glorious illustrations that makes you feel as if you are right there with her. This is a must read for all ages.


via

Have you seen this magazine?! Oh. My. Heavens. I am so in love with this magazine! It is not your ordinary magazine. For starters, it costs about $20. Pretty steep for a magazine, huh? Not at all. Not one like this. This "magazine" is more like a book, for one thing. It is thick and printed on great quality paper. The photographs pull you in...you can't wait to turn the page to see what other gem you will feast your eyes upon. And here's the thing...it's not just a magazine. This book is like a get-away, an oasis, the calm after a hectic day. It's not one of those with "Miracle Diet" in bold on the front cover that you read and then donate to your doctor's office waiting room. Nope. This is a book you savor. It makes you slow down. It makes you relax and think and reflect. I'm telling you, you will hug it to your chest.

It is filled with writing prompts like "What would your perfect day look like?" and room to write. It is for journaling too. It is for list making. And not just blank, white pages but beautiful pages that make you want to touch it with your pen and make your mark, become part of it. This is a magazine like no other and this fall issue will not disappoint.

What are you loving this October?

via

No comments:

Post a Comment