Monday, March 27, 2017

Bedside Table Makeover

I purchased this small bedside table at our local antique store a couple years ago. I paid $20.00 for it and have been very pleased with how strong and sturdy it is. My daughter has used it as her bedside table since the day I brought it home. It was cute, as it was, but I always intended to paint it. 



Several weeks ago, I purchased Annie Sloan chalk paint in the color called Antoinette. It is a chalky light pink color.
Photo Via
 I began the makeover by removing the drawer and removing the original knob on the drawer.






I painted the entire piece including the front of the drawer. I allowed it to dry. This chalk paint dries very quickly! I then applied a second coat of paint and allowed that to dry.



I then used a block of sandpaper to rough it up a bit. I did this to the edges, corners and raised pieces that would naturally show wear over time. I was just "antiquing it" early! I then dusted the chalk away that had fallen naturally from the sandpaper. The next step was to use the Annie Sloan wax to cover the entire painted area. I used the clear wax and the Annie Sloan wax brush (which I highly recommend.)


Inside the drawer I used a Sharpie permanent marker to add a Bible verse that I chose for my daughter. I thought 1 Peter 3:34 was especially appropriate for a young girl to have in a pink drawer in her bedroom. Having it "tucked" in the drawer by her bed makes me think of her having it "tucked" in her heart as well.


I then added a new knob - a cream and black Paris knob! My daughter is a big fan of the Eiffel Tower and all things Paris! I purchased this knob at the same shop where I picked up the paint. It was $3.99.


And done!



And one more look....





My daughter was delighted with her new custom made piece of furniture and I sure enjoyed bringing this great piece of furniture back to life. I am also now hooked on chalk paint!

No comments:

Post a Comment